- President Nelson asks LDS members to gather Israel, believe in Book of Mormon (LDS Church News)
From their front-row seats on the rostrum as Area Seventies, Elders G. Lawrence Spackman and James E. Evanson personally witnessed the influence and impact of President Russell M. Nelson with Saints in the Canadian province of Alberta...
- Inside the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles: What President Ballard has learned in over 40 years of service (LDS Church News)
President M. Russell Ballard admits he’s never entirely alone in his office at Church headquarters.
The sculpted busts of three venerable Latter-day Saint leaders — Joseph Smith, Joseph F. Smith and Hyrum Smith — rest prominently atop a credenza near his office window.
- Despite political strikes and fuel shortages, LDS Brazilian members are flourishing (LDS Church News)
The name Belo Horizonte — “Beautiful Horizon” — signifies the Brazilian city’s beauty.
“Belo Horizonte has the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen,” said Elder Quentin L. Cook who visited Brazil in May.
- Recent Projects Helping Church History Come “Out of Obscurity,” Says Elder Cook (Church News)
Church members can “plant faith by studying more about Church history, said Elder Quentin L. Cook of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles during a BYU–Idaho devotional on Tuesday, June 12.
- Help Doubting Students Choose to “Be Believing,” Elder Renlund Tells Seminary and Institute Teachers (Church News)
Teachers must help their students “be believing” as they address questions of faith and doubt in their classrooms, Elder Dale G. Renlund of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles taught during a broadcast for seminary and institute instructors held on June 12.
- FamilySearch Says It Will Provide Records of Same-Sex Couples by 2019 (Church News)
FamilySearch, which is owned by the Church, announced June 13 that by 2019, it will provide records of same-sex couples on FamilySearch Family Tree. This change will be implemented in order to fulfill the goal of recording “an accurate genealogy that represents the past, present, and future families of the world,” according to the FamilySearch website.
- Coming soon to Mormon genealogical database: records of gay couples and same-sex parents (Salt Lake Tribune - Utah)
Three years ago this month, the U.S. Supreme Court made gay marriage legal in every state, but the LDS Church still hasn’t listed same-sex couples in its massive genealogy databank.
Not surprising, perhaps, given the Utah-based faith’s opposition to same-sex marriage.
But change is coming to the genealogy resource — and soon.
- Members Enjoy 2018 Mormon Night at Dodger Stadium (Church News)
Roughly 1,500 LDS Church members and their friends gathered together to watch baseball and enjoy hot dogs in Los Angeles, California, on June 9, 2018, for the annual Mormon Night at Dodger Stadium—a tradition that has held strong for more than 40 consecutive years.